Our Treatments > Dental Health Examination
Dental Health Examinations & Hygiene
The time between a check-up can vary between 3 months to 2 years, depending on how healthy your teeth and gums are, how well you take care of your teeth and the risk of future problems.
A DHE (Dental Health Examination) allows us to assess whether you have any dental problems, and prevent any future issues.
What to expect at your check-up
During a DHE, we will:
• assess the health of your mouth including a screening for oral cancer and other diseases which may be present in the mouth and/or facial area.
• check your level of comfort; whether any disease is present or developing in your mouth, teeth or gums, which is causing or likely to cause pain.
• assess your level of function; can you eat and chew all the types of food that you want to?
• determine whether there are any issues that are likely to remain stable or deteriorate and discuss how to maintain or improve your comfort, function and stability going forward.
• discuss any aesthetic considerations; Is there anything you think that you could improve in the appearance of your teeth and smile? The only person who can decide whether your mouth, teeth and smile are acceptable is you, the patient. We are here to discuss solutions that are achievable and most importantly, maintainable in your mouth.
Gum disease can range from relatively superficial inflammation of the gums (gingivitis) to highly destructive forms which can undermine the supporting structures of the teeth (periodontitis) and cause premature tooth loss.
These are all inflammatory diseases driven by bacteria associated with dental plaque formation on tooth surfaces, but we also know now that it depends on your body’s reaction to this inflammation.
Some people are genetically more susceptible to periodontitis and we also know that stress and diet can influence gum disease.
Management of gum disease revolves around a twice daily oral hygiene routine at home aiming for optimal removal of dental plaque by brushing and using interdental care, together with professional cleaning by a dentist or hygienist which can vary from 3 to 12 months, depending on the severity of your gum condition.
Your regular effective home cleaning is of paramount importance and we will instruct and support you to become proficient at this. Professional cleaning is required to remove the hard deposits of calculus or tartar (which are mineralised plaque), to reach areas where deep pockets have been located and to smoothen any rough areas to minimise ongoing plaque retention.
Several health conditions can adversely affect gum health; diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and some auto-immune diseases are amongst others.
There is scientific evidence that this link also works in reverse and gum disease could adversely affect your general health, for example unstable gum disease can be a cause for diabetes and cardiovascular disease. Maintaining a healthy mouth helps maintain a healthy body.
Smoking is a major risk factor for gum disease and various cancers. Smoking cessation is key to successful management of gum disease. Vaping is also likely to compromise your gum health as the substances used in it usually include nicotine and is best to be avoided.
Our friendly and knowledgeable team is not here to judge you, but to guide you by providing you with personalised advice, accessories and techniques that will help you to achieve and maintain gum health.
We recognise dental problems come without warning; as well as our regular treatments, and our 'new patient appointments', we also offer emergency appointments, which we aim to see you within 24 hours or same day where possible.
Dental Health Examinations
Root Canal Treatment / Endodontics
Prosthodontics / Dentures
See what our dental patients say; we take pride in our high ratings and happy clients, and we hope you too will join them.
|Monday - Thursday||8:30am–1pm, 2–5:00pm|
|Saturday - Sunday||Closed|
All visits are by appointment only due to COVID 19